Alexa can tell you about your bill, power status, outages in your area, and how much energy you’ve used or generated.
Don’t have a smart speaker? Use the app! You can get all the convenience of the GMP skill just by using the Alexa app on your phone – no smart speaker needed!
Below is a list of the types of questions you can ask Alexa about your account.
Add the Skill
Follow these steps to get the GMP skill on your smart speaker or phone.
- Open the main menu in the Alexa app on your phone or tablet.
- Select “Skills and Games”
- Search for “Green Mountain Power”
- Click on “Settings”, then “Link Account”
- Enter your GMP account username and password
- Enjoy getting Alexa’s answers to your GMP questions!
BILLING & PAYMENT
What is my current balance?
When was my last payment?
Where is the closest place to pay my bill?
What is the customer charge on my bill?
How do I sign up for auto payments?
I need help paying my bill.
OUTAGES & SAFETY
How many outages are there?
How do I report a downed power line?
Does my house have power?
Are any people out in [city, county, or district]?
What was my last power outage?
How much energy did I use last billing period?
How many kilowatts have I generated this week?
What is my average weekly usage?
PROGRAMS & OFFERS
Tell me about [EV chargers, Tesla Powerwall, heat pumps, water heaters].
What weatherization services does GMP offer?
What is the bring your own device program?
There are two ways to interact with Alexa once you’ve added the GMP skill to your Amazon smart speaker. Note – you must say Green Mountain Power, not GMP.
- Say “Alexa, open Green Mountain Power.” When you launch the skill this way, it stays open and you can just ask Alexa for information related to your account. When you’re done with your questions for Alexa, you can respond by saying “cancel,” ask to open a different Alexa skill, or just not respond to Alexa at all and it will close.
- You can open and launch it right into a question. For example: “Alexa, ask Green Mountain Power how much energy I’ve used this month.” Once Alexa answers, it will close.
Yes! But you will have access to more info from Alexa if you have an online GMP account.
Yes! Just tell Alexa to “switch accounts” and you’ll get the info you need from your other accounts.
The Green Mountain Power skill may not actually be open. Make sure it is by saying: “Alexa, open Green Mountain Power,” and then ask your question again.